i had the amazing opportunity to have Kat write me a fun facts post for my blog for her book The Third kiss! Kat is a lovely Australian author and i loved reading her book and chatting to her! Here is her post:
Firstly, a big thank you to Tiffany for allowing me to visit her awesome blog! I knew this would be a great place to hang out as soon as I saw Tiff’s too-cute-for-words owl book rating system. I mean, owls! Who doesn’t love owls! My latest young adult release The Third Kiss has the odd Kookaburra as it’s set in Sydney, Australia. There’s also a Siamese fighting fish called Mr Miyagi, as well as toe curling chemistry, and lots of edge-of-your-seat martial arts action as the main characters Jonas and Cora fight hell-sent demons along with their attraction for one another. But sadly no owls.
In the absence of owls, let me offer you some Fun Facts about both The Third Kiss and myself!
- The Third Kiss was originally called Love’s Mortal Coil, which is now the series title. It was this title that caught my editor’s attention and, along with the premise for the novel, convinced him to pull it from the slush pile.
- The kiss in the gazebo in chapter sixteen is an award winner! The scene won the Romance Writer’s of Australia First Kiss competition back in 2014. That’s right, that there is one award winning smooch, and I had huge fun writing the verbal and emotional push and pull between Jonas and Cora in the lead up to this momentous moment. Here’s a tiny taste:
The light disappeared. And with it the space between us. His lips came down on mine. Hard. Near desperate. My eyes slid shut, pushing all other senses wide open: the slide of his tongue, hot breath on my too-tight skin. The scent of him surrounded me, all freshly cut grass and licorice.
3. A friend of mine makes replica weaponry, so I had a Sword of Absolom made—the only weapon the Groth Maar demons can use to kill Cora. Here’s a picture. Looks real, doesn’t it? You’d never know it was made of foam and rubber!
4. I love the trailer music production duo Two Steps From Hell and listened to their epic music while writing a lot of The Third Kiss. The track Skyworld will forever be the one I hear in my head when I read the demon baiting scene outside the library in chapter twenty-five. And Starvation is the haunting track I played while writing the climax of the story where Jonas finally faces the Groth Maar Lord, Elymas. Shivers, always, at the 1 minute 55 second mark!
5. English is my third language. Polish and German are number one and two.
6. America Bay, in the Ku-ring-gai National Park where the Groth Maar demon mansion is in The Third Kiss, exists. It’s a beautiful spot of bushland smack in the middle of suburban Sydney where my family and I bushwalk on a regular basis. Here’s a picture we took a couple of summers back overlooking America Bay:
7. Tim Tams, an iconic Australian chocolate biscuit, feature in the The Third Kiss because they’re my favourite biscuit of all time! I’m not sure if you can get them in the UK, but it’s worth the effort if you can. Promise!
Kat Colmer Bio:
Kat Colmer is a Sydney-based Young and New Adult author who writes coming-of-age stories with humor and heart. The recipient of several writing awards, she has won the Romance Writers of Australia First Kiss contest, as well as the Romance Writers of America On the Far Side contest for her debut Young Adult Paranormal Romance.
Kat has a Master of Education in Teacher Librarianship and loves working with teens and young adults. When not writing, teaching, or reading the latest in YA fiction, Kat spends time with her husband and two children.
The Third Kiss Summary:
Love curses don’t exist. At least that’s what Jonas, master of the meaningless hookup, tells himself when a letter warns him he’s an Eros Guardian cursed to endure a test of true love or forever be alone. His levelheaded longtime friend Cora figures it’s a revenge prank by an ex. The way Jonas stamps each girlfriend with a weeklong use-by date, it serves him right.
But when an impulsive kiss between the two friends reveals potential for more, Cora becomes the target of the Groth Maar: demons sent to wipe out the Eros Guardian line. And suddenly the curse becomes dangerously real.
Breaking the curse means Jonas’s biggest challenge yet. Failure guarantees Cora’s death. But success may cost him his own life…and the loss of his carefully guarded heart to the one girl far too sensible to fall for him.
The Third Kiss links:
Thank You Kat for writing me a post and giving me the opportunity to read your book and do this post! I love my rating system and im glad you do too! I recommend that everybody goes and gives this book a chance as i was not disappointed with it!